Sweet Burger and Naked Ladies…

by agirlandhermutt on July 27, 2010

Despite me moving in slow motion all day, I was able to get to the gym AND make a yummy dinner tonight. *Pat on the back!*

But first, can we start with something I’m struggling with at my gym?! Go with me for a few.

I work out at a wonderful all women gym. The facility is awesome. So clean. Great instructors. Tons of classes. Lots of amenities. TWO THUMBS UP, right?

However, my gym has two distinct personalities.

1. Awesome Has Everything I Could Ever Need Gym.

Then there is #2…

2. Naked Lady Gym

Look. I get that we are proud of bodies. Yay women. Hear us roar! But is it absolutely necessary for me to be greeted by a naked woman in every corner of my gym? Today took the cake though.

I went into the steam room. Took a seat, with a towel wrapped tightly around me, and started to enjoy my steam. Ahhhh…doesn’t it just sound relaxing?!

A few minutes later the door opens and in walks a woman in nothin’ but her thongs (as my mother calls them. Flip flops to others. hehe) and a towel. It isn’t just any towel though. It is one of the FACE towels that the gym provides. I can’t help but think to myself, “What is the purpose of that towel? Is that supposed to cover something? Why is she using the face towel on her body parts?!” If that wasn’t enough, it gets better. She sits down next to me and then LAYS down. Legs up, head down.

Seriously. It was too much for me. I felt the urge to yell “hey naked lady! Keep your junk to yourself!”, but instead I just gathered myself up and got the heck out of dodge.

So my question to you folks is…am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should be? Am I being dramatic?! There is serious potential for me being too dramatic about this so I throw this out for you to weigh in. ;) Don’t worry. I’m not leaving my gym over this, but I may throw a dirty look or two. Kidding…kind of.

While you mull that over, let me share with you what I made for dinner.

Sweet Burgers!

In the mix (Serves 2):
-1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
-1 sweet potato
-1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
-green onion, chopped

*Wash sweet potato and pierce with knife. Heat in microwave for 3 minutes.
*Slice up potato and mix with chopped green onion and black beans.
*In food processor, mix potato, onion and beans  to get a smooth mixture.
*In a separate bowl, mix the bean mixture with the bread crumbs. Use those hands!
*Create 9 patties with the mixture.
*In a pan sprayed with PAM, cook patties 1-2 minutes on each side over med-high heat.

I served my patties (3) with  a little salsa verde and some steamed green beans with a little Garlic Garlic sprinkled over it. How did this meal get so good so quickly?!

These little babies are definitely going into the AGAHM dinner rotation!

What meals do you have on a regular basis? Have a recipe for that dish? Share the link!

PS. I updated my About Me page. Finally! Now you can know who I am. :)

Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone July 27, 2010 at 11:00 pm

EEK! That’s just scary! I probably would have left too after glaring at her if her eyes were open.

agirlandhermutt July 27, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I would have had to bend over her to see her eyes. OR look through her legs! Eek! ;)

Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone July 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

DOUBLE EEEK!

Brittany July 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I used to go to a gym that was similar with the nakedness. I think it’s fine to an extent, but what that lady did to you in the steam room is crossing the line. Although I will admit, it made for a funny story. :)

agirlandhermutt July 27, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Thank you! My dramatic moment is starting to feel valid. :)

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) July 28, 2010 at 12:10 am

Yum, those sweet potato burgers look so delicious and healthy. I think it’s pretty rude of the lady to just assume you don’t mind her nakedness. A lot of people are comfortable with it, but personally, I don’t think it’s all that sanitary in the gym setting.

Kaz July 28, 2010 at 3:26 am

Hah, I *like* you. Your post had me laughing out loud. :D

I don’t think you are overreacting. I’m a pretty modest person, myself. I remember when I went to this gym, there was this girl who would just like, skivvy down and take the most languorous shower. Seriously, she’d be all getting into her lathering and she’d be totally butt naked in an open shower room doing her thing for like twenty minutes. All I could think was, “Where’s your modesty, girl?” o.O

Your sweet potato/bean burgers look really yummy! I don’t have any real recipes in my rotation, but I do like to eat the same thing over and over, like steamed veggies with hummus or roasted sweet potatoes with peanut butter.

Btw, I’ve added you to my blogroll! I look forward to reading your future posts. =)

agirlandhermutt July 28, 2010 at 8:26 am

Thanks! Who are these people?! ;)

Roasted sweet potatoes and peanut butter? OMG! That sounds fantastic!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) July 28, 2010 at 8:53 am

haha! Your story made me laugh, but no I don’t think you are over reacting. Catching a naked woman as she is changing in front of her locker is one thing, but having a lady go all spread-eagle in the steam room is another… save it for the gyno! :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 28, 2010 at 9:28 am

I couldn’t help but laugh when I read this because I totally feel your pain. I am comfortable to an extent with required nudity (changing in and out of clothes for example) but the full out strutting around naked does not sit well with me. Now I should say that I workout at work so the nudity also belongs to my boss and coworkers…maybe thats whats adding to the awkwardness???

Stina @ Girl Can July 28, 2010 at 9:30 am

I tend to agree with everyone else so far. The steam room incident definitely crossed a line. I remember in high school there was one girl on my swim team who would walk around the locker room stark naked while we were changing for practice. In retrospect, I’m kind of impressed she had the confidence in her body to do that, but it still made everyone really uncomfortable.

Honestly, if it made you that uncomfortable you might consider mentioning it to the staff at the gym.

Noelle July 28, 2010 at 9:37 am

LOL I can’t stand it. I used to just gag all over the place when a naked lady would apply her make-up and lean on the counter. I was a nanny to 2 5 y/o twins and there was lots of hand washing etc and I had to stretch to reach the soap! There was no way I was going to lean up against the same counter many nekkid crotches had leaned on. It’s just gross. And getting in the hot tub naked? Again I could gag all over the place. Is your bathing suit that uncomfortable? Buy a new one, you can get them for $10.00 at the Wal-Mart!
Your dinner looks fantastic not that I can even thing about food now LMAO

Camille July 28, 2010 at 11:48 am

Fancy schmancy gym! I’m jealous!
The sweet burgers look awesome :)

agirlandhermutt July 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

It is gorgeous!!! Thanks! Yummy too!

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner July 28, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Awesome plates! I have the naked lady problem too. Like I don’t even walk around the locker room baring all, so why must someone who looks like my grandma do it. So not ok.

agirlandhermutt July 28, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Isn’t the plate a hoot? I picked one up at Target. I feel like a school kid eating from it. :) Agreed. Grandma naked not ok.

Blond Duck July 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Popped in to say hi!! I love your blog! The header is adorable.

I work out in an all women’s gym, but I don’t have the naked lady problem. I have the equipment nazi problem–before you’re even done strength training or using a machine, she’s trying to pick up your weights or move your stuff!

agirlandhermutt July 28, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Fortunately I don’t have that problem. That would drive me nuts too!

Kristina July 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

yeah, um … NO !!

it is so crazy… I can understand sometimes seeing someone BRIEFLY naked (I used to shower at my gym) but not just cruising around the locker room. GAAH.

my spa has PRIVATE steam + jacuzzi for this reason… it’s big enough for more than one, but you reserve time and go in with friends, etc.

NO COMMUNITY NUDITY for me! :)

we have many places like that in Portland… community soaks, etc. I hate them. ;)

THOSE BURGERS? NOM !

Mary @ ferventfoodie July 29, 2010 at 8:19 am

I am SO excited for the HLS as well! Cocktails, yoga, food, workshops! Ahhhh can’t wait :D

Those business cards are so cute!!