Healthy Living Summit: Part 1

by agirlandhermutt on August 16, 2010

I have a confession for you all. As I got off the train to head towards the hotel a thought jumped in my mind that had been nagging me on and off for a few weeks.

“Erin…This is nuts.”

It was nuts to go to a conference where I didn’t know one single person. It was nuts to stay in a hotel room with someone who I had only emailed a handful of times. It was nuts. Plain and simple. It was also supah exciting! New faces! New places! I took the plunge head first and kept my fingers crossed for the best.

The first person I met instantly put me at ease though…I met Dorry! She has the BEST hugs around. No lie. We met up with a some other HLS peeps and set off for some lunch.

A few of us had heard about Raw, a restaurant in the French Market, that was supposedly quite tasty.

Holy yum…this place was not only super fresh and healthy, but everything just tasted fantastic!

The employees were kind enough to provide some samples so we could make some choices.

Jessie, my roomie, and I decided to split the raviolis and a tuna sandwich.

To finish the meal we were treated to an amazing truffle! Not the best looking goodie but oh so good.

Everyone in our troupe really enjoyed their dishes. Yay for foodie satisfaction!

Nicci, Dorry, Jessica, Courtney, Jessie and Me!

It was blazing hot so I had to stop for a water on our 1.5 mile trek back to the hotel. Thank goodness I did because I discovered that Chicago likes their booze…in CVS! They even have Bud and Tomato juice. Keepin’ it classy Chicago. Nice work!

When we got back to our creeptastic hotel (more on that later), we quickly got ready for the OpenSky cocktail party that was held at LaSalle Power Co.

There was food, drinks, new faces and a photo booth. Insanity!

Hey! Look who I found—>Spabettie!

Throughout the night I met tons of blends (blog friends!), hoards of new to me bloggers, and a few bloggers that I stalk on a regular basis.

Beth

Stina

Tina (ACK! So excited! I creepily waited around like a groupie to meet her)

Jessie (The Roomie!)

Angela

I was BEAT by 9p! Jessie had a bit of a headache so I jumped at the chance for us to head back to the hotel for us to relax, gossip, and check out our mea swag bags.

I see a few giveaways happening in the next few days! Don’t you?!

I can’t really articulate how great it was to meet so many others that have this strange interest in blogging that I do. I was in total overload all night long!

Stay tuned for a recap of our sessions from Saturday, our eats, and a great night out!

christina August 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Hey. I follow Tina too! I love that she lives in Boston. I read KERF too. Love her. I’d love to go to this one next year or the one they went to in NYC

Dorry August 16, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Awww! I’ll give you hugs any day of the week! You are such an absolute JOY to be around, an all-around beautiful, funny and friendly person. I can’t wait until we cross paths again…it will happen! And this time, we’ll make sure Spabettie is actually present. xoxo

agirlandhermutt August 16, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Aw shucks…I’m blushing!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin August 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Cute picture of us!! It was so fun meeting you. i want to go back!!!!

agirlandhermutt August 16, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Me too! Work isn’t nearly as much fun as hanging out with you all!

Jessica - Black Cat Kitchen August 16, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Great pics! I wish I’d have asked more people to take pics of me with people. Kinda felt silly doing that 🙁

LOL I totally forgot about the ‘haunting excursion’ – that may deserve a post all of it’s own 🙂

agirlandhermutt August 16, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh! I felt like a total nerd doing it but really wanted photos. HA! Next time I’ll force the camera out of your hands and into mine!

Kristina @ spabettie August 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm

AWW ! look, there I am with my favorite girls! 🙂

I sure look like I’m having fun… look how PALE I am – I must have seen one of those GHOSTS ! 🙂

Lynn @ The Next Chapter August 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Looked liked such a fun time, I’m totally going next year!

Love the dress you wore to the cocktail party, such a pretty color!

Becky August 16, 2010 at 8:02 pm

We never met at HLS, but I loved reading your recap! Everyone did so many fun and different things! I need to go back to Chicago and visit more great restaurants and attractions.

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka August 16, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Wow—looks like y’all had a fantabulous time, so jealous!

Well, I don’t know what I am more jealous of—-your swag or meeting everyone. Both are just too exciting 🙂

agirlandhermutt August 16, 2010 at 11:15 pm

The swag was pretty stellar! 😉

Kaz August 17, 2010 at 2:58 am

Looks like a wonderful time! Oooh, all that swag! 😀

I’d be all stalky blog-celebrity person, too. LOL Nothin’ wrong with that!

Noelle August 17, 2010 at 9:08 am

It’s not nuts LOL People DATE strangers they meet on the internet! My bestie met her BF that way and he is awesome! I am so glad you had such a great time!

Katie August 17, 2010 at 10:24 am

The Healthy Living Summit looks so much fun! How did you get invited to it?? I’m really curious cause I reallllyyyy want to go!
I just found your blog by the way and I love it!!

agirlandhermutt August 17, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Katie! I’m so glad you like the blog! All you have to do is buy a ticket to attend. 🙂 Keep an eye on the HLS website (http://healthylivingsummit.com/) for more details. It will be awhile before they announce anything but you can get more info there!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 17, 2010 at 11:16 am

i don’t know dorry in person, but i love her too…and i love great hugs! i’m so glad you had a great weekend. sometimes it pays off to take a chance, right? you’re so awesome!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 17, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I’m so jealous of all you HLSers!! It looks like it was an absolute blast!!!

Sigh…next year, maybe? 🙂

Danielle August 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I felt the same way when I got off the train and walked to the hotel! I’m so proud of us both for getting out of our comfort zone and having a great time doing it!