Rainy Days=Dinner With Friends…

by agirlandhermutt on August 23, 2010

It never fails that every SINGLE time it rains in Boston, I have some form of dinner date going on. Tonight was no different. It is like Seattle in Boston today with the rain and cold weather. I secretly kind of love it *sshhhh!* It reminds me of Sleepless in Seattle, which really makes me smile inside.

Right after work I met up with my buddy Claudia. She was the very first friend I ever made in Boston. Five years later we are still friends. Miracles of miracles…someone likes me for more than 6 months! 😉

We met up at Beacon St Tavern in Brookline. Both of us had been before but it was many moons ago! It has a warm, cozy, lounge-like feel that is perfect for a cold and dreary night.

We started off with the sweet potato tater tots.

These were more like hushpuppies than tater tots. Have you ever had a hushpuppy? Claudia hadn’t and I was fascinated by this! Is this just a southern thang?

Next up…gazpacho! Now that I’ve given up my ban on gazpacho I’ve gone full force into the world that is cold tomato soup. This one was topped with cucumbers and croutons.

Unfortunately, the sliced cucumbers and croutons were the only really great part about this one. I’ve decided that I’m definitely a chunky style gazpacho eater. Little fact to remember about me.

For our meals, Claudia went the seafood route and ordered the scallops.

Seriously…how fantastic do those suckers look? I have developed a rule about ordering scallops when I am out and about. I find that I can make them just as good at home and there are typically only about 3 of them on the plate for about $25. Not this time though…These scallops looked fantastic and were on top of this great corn, tomato, and spinach mixture! I was a little jealous. When I say a little…I mean a lot.

I went with my typical veggie burger with a side of roasted brussels sprouts.

The burger was pretty good, but the brussels left a lot to be desired. I was hoping for that little bit of bite that roasted brussels give but instead they were kind of sour. Bummer. The burger though had a great texture and it was huge! Plenty to take home for lunch the next day. 🙂

There were some drinks consumed too. Wine for me. Jamaican Divorce for Claudia (ha!).

The best part of the whole meal? They bring complimentary chocolates at the end of the meal to enjoy! Who needs to buy dessert when you get complimentary chocolates?! Stellar move Beacon St Tavern.

Rainy night or not… it was a good night with Claudia. It was cozy. We laughed. We chatted. We gossiped. The perfect way to start the week.

Question of the day: How did you start the week?!

Dorry August 23, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Totally jealous about the cooler rainy weather! I think we might get some rain here this week but it’s still so hot. Had a rather productive day and we ordered Pei Wei for dinner…do y’all have Pei Wei? Yummy Chinese food.

agirlandhermutt August 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm

No Pei Wei! I must know about this more!!!

Kristina @ spabettie August 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm

ha! just what is in a Jamaican Divorce? 🙂 as someone who appreciates the classic that is Big Lebowski (and can probably recite each line…) I would order the Silk Lebowski. 😉

Later this week I have a dinner date with my best friend from first grade, and I cannot WAIT. Girlfriend dates are the best!!

Kristina @ spabettie August 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

hi Dorry! 🙂

oh, and Hush Puppies… totally a southern thing.

agirlandhermutt August 23, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Well how about that?! I had no idea. Thanks!

Mary @ Fervent Foodie August 23, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I loovvvvveeee hushpuppies! Can’t wait to get some next time I head south!

Lynn @ The Next Chapter August 24, 2010 at 5:57 am

Gotta love a meal that ends with free chocolate! 🙂

Looks like a delicious spread, I always get disappointed when I order scallops at a restaurant too. For the same price you can get 1-2 lbs of them and cook at home. Although, that looks like a decent serving.

Boo to the brussel sprouts. 🙁

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. August 24, 2010 at 8:27 am

Hush puppies are definitely a Southern thing…but so good! I love them! I’m jealous of the rain, we could use some here in Michigan.

Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner August 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

Complimentary chocolates? Nice! Nothing like a good hearty meal on a rainy day. Her scallops do like mighty tasty, but I’m also a veggie burger kind of girl. Not a gazpacho fan though. The sweet potato balls look awesome though!

Noelle August 24, 2010 at 9:37 am

When I was pregnant with Carlee, I was reading some book and she was making hush puppies. OH MY GOSH I had to have them like no craving I have EVER had! We headed for Red Lobster. They don’t have them. A lot of my friends had never even heard of them??? I finally found them at the one and only Long John Silver’s fast food place in my area. They gave me TWO! I was sadly disappointed. Then my very good friend that I work with showed up at work with a whole basket of them for me! Finally the craving was cured! Phew! I got my tubes tied so I don’t have to be tortured like that again. LOL
My week can only get better, Carlee fell all the way down the stairs last night. Head over heels backwards. Worst 7 seconds of my life! Not a scratch on her though, PHEW! That baby of mine is made of rubber!

Michelle August 24, 2010 at 9:39 am

I’ve never had a hush puppy! I’m ashamed to say that I don’t even know what they are…

I started my week with a night at Fenway last night! The rain stopped after the first inning and it was a nice night 🙂

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin August 24, 2010 at 10:19 am

Woah sweet potato tater tots/hush puppies!? I’ve never heard of those but that sounds RIGHT up my alley. Yum!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 24, 2010 at 11:50 am

I kinda secretly like cold dreary nights too…well once and a while anyway.
I started my week with a last minute date with the boyfriend. We were out tire shopping for his car and ended up out for dinner which we rarely do. It was just lovely!!

Tina August 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Looks like a really fun night with a friend. I’m really picky about scallops too. It always seems when I order them they are crap but when I don’t I should have.

Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 24, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Can I just say those tater tot/ hush puppy things look amazing! My boss is from Boston and was perplexed by hush puppies too so maybe it is a southern thing. 😀

Aimee August 25, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I haven’t had hush puppies, but I love a good tot! 🙂