Go Local! Boston Local Food Festival

by agirlandhermutt on October 2, 2010

I’m a local food nut. In 2009 I read Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and feel in love with the idea of being a locavore. Please understand…I don’t follow this idea 100% of the time. Heck, I’m striving for just 50% on some days, but I think its a smart and worthwhile way of life to strive for. One that I continue to focus on in my food philosophy and in my day-to-day life.

Today I got the opportunity to discover a whole plethora (I love that word!) of like-minded folks at at the first evah Boston Local Food Festival.

It was probably one of the nicest days that Boston has seen in quite some time. Perfect day for some outdoor festivaling with my pal, Karen, along Boston’s waterfront.

As we walked in we were greeted with some good ol’ music. Yep, its a one man band! Anyone who can play a harmonica is A-OK in my book.

There were TONS of vendors giving away samples, selling some of their foodie goods, and lots of information booths.

Taza Chocolate from Somerville, Ma. They offer tours! Any Boston folks interested in joining me on one?!

Grillo’s Pickles! My favorites. So fresh and tasty! Check out his cart by Park St T station or buy jars at Whole Foods.

The Food Project was out in full force letting kids dig up carrots and juice apples. Way to get the kiddies involved in the local movement.

Karen helped to make some butter. Just shake a jar of heavy whipping cream and call it a day.

She also agreed to play around with some seafood with me. FYI…I’m playing the part of an oyster.

We were given seeds and soil to grown our own kale. Kale chips here I come!

There were tons of farms offering their goods. Such beautiful veggies.

Straight out of Tewskbury, Dahliscious offered up some super yummy lassi!

Mango, Blueberry, Strawberry and Banana. Seriously fantastic! We all know I love my lassi. ;)

There were all kinds of fun beverages. I’m a beverages girl. I constantly have a water or a some type of drink on hand.

There were SEVERAL live cooking demos. The first one we happened upon was the butchering the pig demo. Oh God. Seeing that head just sitting there was just too much for me.

The Haley House, who serve a great purpose in our community, had my fave demo on how to cook greens.

Mmm…greens and cornbread.

Everyone was encouraged to bring their own water bottles in order to cut down on unnecessary waste. No bottled water was sold, but there was water provided!

The festival had a Zero Waste policy. Don’t even think about just throwing away your trash!

Throw away with a purpose.

Tons of local restaurants that serve dishes made with local foods showed up with some serious delish meals.

Karen and I had a fantastic time sampling our way through the festival but the most exciting part came right as we were walking out. We caught sight of a bus. BUT not any ordinary bus. A famer’s market bus! The folks at Enterprise Farms have the coolest set up.

Hop on the bus to pick from a huge selection of locally grown veggies.

Walking around the festival seeing all the vendors who support eating local was an awesome experience. I wish every day was a Farmer’s Market day!

Question of the day: Do you belong to a CSA? I’m dying to do one, but I’m afraid that it will be WAY to much food. Thoughts?!

Cristina @ Cristina Meets Life October 3, 2010 at 12:07 am

Hands down, I would of been a kid in a candy store! I think it’s so important to support the local farmers. Why would I get tomatoes from let’s say California when I can get them in my own back yard, and reduce my own carbon footprint?

I hate hate using plastic waterbottles. I have pretty bottles from lululemon that I always forget I have. It’s awesome they encouraged their go’ers to do the same and reduce waste; I love that.

I’ve never done a CSA before, but if I did.. I’m not sure what I’d do with all the veggies, etc. I think my Mum would do one, since she doesn’t like to cook anything from a box. I wonder where I get my own food philosophy from…

Meg October 3, 2010 at 9:56 am

I’d love to do a CSA too, but like you worried about too much food. I’d do one with you in heartbeat if I still lived in Boston. I’d love to find someone to split one with next summer here in New York. My cousins do one and I am the lucky recipient of CSA swag every time I visit their apartment. Also living so near USQ Green Market does remind me that might be just as good an option for for urban girl lifestyle.

agirlandhermutt October 4, 2010 at 1:35 am

That Green Market is amazing!

Michellee October 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Sign me up for a chocolate tour!

We did a CSA last year. There were some weeks where it was a LOT of food, and some weeks where it was just so-so. We eat a ton of veggies, so we were able to eat it all… but just barely some weeks! Some CSAs have a half-share or split-share option if you’re participating for just one or two people. I missed doing it this year!

agirlandhermutt October 4, 2010 at 1:37 am

I need to do a little more research on the half shares. I really could go for that! It seems like a neat way to be introduced to veggies right when the farmer wants me to have them. :)

I’ll keep you posted on the tour. Mmm…chocolate!

Jazz Rules October 3, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Boston is one of the best cities in the world! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica@Healthy Exposures October 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm

This looks like such an awesome set up that Boston has!! I am very jealous ;) I also quite envy the idea of being able to be a locavore – and am always a little proud of myself when I’m making something that is primarily comprised of locally grown or made ingredients. It looks like you had wonderful weather for the occasion, too!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka October 3, 2010 at 4:14 pm

What an amazingly perfect day!! I love that stuff like that and any vendor that gives out free samples is a friend in my book.

I try to buy local as much as possible but sometimes I can’t do the constraints with what the supermarket carries and money reasons.

I too am a beverage girl, I always have something next to me no matter what. I bought some kale this wknd and stoked to use it :)

agirlandhermutt October 4, 2010 at 1:38 am

You will have to let me know how you like the kale!

I totally hear you on the money reasons. There are quite a few times when I’ve been to the market to get tomatoes and have been shocked to see the price tag. I understand it, but my wallet doesn’t. Often times I just skip that week. Its good to know that we don’t have to be perfect 100% of the time!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 3, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I have a CSA and I don’t find its too much food at all! In fact, I think it’s great because it forces me to focus on produce when I’m planning my meals since another box will be coming a week later.

agirlandhermutt October 4, 2010 at 1:38 am

I love seeing all your CSA posts. You get some great veggies and I always think about joining when I see your blog.