Taking back control…

by agirlandhermutt on October 15, 2010

I came home to find a little mess on my hands.  My pantry decided to revolt and throw up onto my kitchen floor.

I tried to blame it on Korky, but really its just my disorganized self that caused this little mess. I realize this doesn’t look like your typical pantry, but its a big city pantry. Ya get what ya get. ;)

I had a couple of things on the To Do list but  decided that this was top priority. Hello organized pantry.

While I was at it, I took care of the canned goods “pantry” too.

Things I do NOT need to purchase for several grocery store visits:

Polenta–I have 4 logs. WHY?!
Instant coffee–I don’t drink coffee at home. Where did this come from?Tuna—I am apparently preparing for an apocalypse.
Falafel—I must have experienced a shortage in my past life.
Chickpeas—11 cans. Yep. 11.
Black Beans—10 cans. Not as many as the chickpeas but on the verge of being a hoarder.

It felt good to do a little cleaning out and to see what I had going on in the way deep back of those cupboards. I’m feeling all kinds of recipe inspiration coming on! I’m also feeling a major overhaul of the fridge coming. *Shudder* Any volunteers?!

Q: Do you hoard any kinds of food? What are some must have pantry items that you always have?

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin October 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Ahhh I reallllly need to do a pantry reorganization project like woah. I’ve been contemplating it for ages and this weekend is the weekend.

agirlandhermutt October 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Good luck!

Kristina @ spabettie October 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

my must haves – black beans, white beans, chickpeas. Pumpkin. Vanilla. Olive oil. Spark, Slam, vanilla protein powder.

:D

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe October 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm

My pantry looks the exact same way as far as chick peas and black beans. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

Dorry October 15, 2010 at 2:32 pm

LOL – I love canned beans, too. Black beans, pinto beans and chickpeas. Also salsa, almond milk and oatmeal. And if I don’t have bananas at home, I get anxious. ;)

james October 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

You really inspire me. I’m very proud of you!

Jessica Kwolek October 15, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has a ton of canned beans hiding out! haha. It’s one of those things I buy one or two of everytime I’m at the store because a. they’re cheap and b. i eat them a lot. I just realized the other day that I could probably stop with that for a little bit, since I don’t think I’ll go through 10 cans in a week. Well, that and if I do, the store is 5 minutes away! haha.

agirlandhermutt October 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm

My store is probably 50 feet away. I don’t know what I’m preparing for! ha!

Nicci October 16, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I always have black beans and corn on my shelves. I’m making chili tonight with those items and a few more tonight!

ashleigh October 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Damn girl you are set! If you do your fridge I want to see before and afters!! My parents are huge food hoarders, I am not. My fridge is full on Sundays and bare on Saturdays and I only use 2 cupboards for food. I guess it’s probably because I walk to go grocery shopping and don’t want heavy bags!

Researcher May 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Ashleigh- I’m doing research about overstockers, food hoarders, etc. Please check out my blog!

Jessica October 16, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I’m jealous of all your chickpeas & black beans! I feel like I’m always OUT!!

Sara@RunningInPinkProjectr October 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I “hoard” whole grain pasta, canned diced tomatoes with various add ins, tuna, applesauce (the giant jars), black beans, and lara bars. I just pick a couple up every time I catch them on sale and I think they must mate or something because my pantry is full of them.

Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Oh these pictures are great! I love it;) And I will actually help you with the refrigerator project. That’s like, one of my most gratifying chores ever. Besides laundry. I’m wired like a Stepford wife, I know.