1.11.11!

by agirlandhermutt on January 11, 2011

Fun with numbers kids! 1-11-11. January 11, 2011. Despite the fun with numbers, what really hit me that it was already 2011.

Seriously?! Where did 2010 go?! I promise this won’t be the last time that I ask these questions. I’m fascinated at this phenomenon of time just flying by!

In addition to being completely thrown off that it is officially a new year, today also brought the birthday of my wonderful tea party friend, Karen.

Several of the girls and I met up at Russell House Tavern in Harvard Square to celebrate the birthday girl’s big day. I’ve had a few run-ins with RHT and have enjoyed each experience. Great food, great service, and EXCELLENT DRINKS!

Past visits:
Martini Monday
Taza Chocolate Tour

In additions to the good eats and drinks, I love that RHT makes attempts to stay local as often as possible. This type of thinking is right in line with my food philosophy.

I started off my meal with a rose pinot noir right out of Westport, Ma from Westport Winery. This wine is considered their “on tap” wine and comes in at great price of just $5/glass!

I went back and forth between what I was going to order. I’ve made a goal for this year to really try to plan ahead when going to a restaurant in order to make the best decisions, whether it be to fit a healthy, budget, or craving need. This time I decided to stick with the choices I made ahead of time to meet my budget and craving needs. What?! Healthy isn’t always the frontrunner all of the time. Winking smile

My choices for the evening…

Dirty Caesar Salad (which was ENOURMOUS!)

and a side of mashed potatoes. Ha! No worries…I took most of these babies home to enjoy the next day.

I enjoyed getting a glimpse of my neighbor’s Jonah Crab Cakes. This was my second choice. Mmm…next time!

The birthday girl went all out and got the burger with pommes frites. Go big or go home!

I enjoyed my fun cheap wine, but dined on a mixture of soda water and tap water for the rest of the night. Getting those ounces in where I can!

I caught Karen in a moment of sheer happiness with a touch of crazy. Winking smile

For dessert Karen immediately gravitated to the Flourless Chili Chocolate Cake. Chocolate and chili? YES, PLEASE!

The cake had a nice heat at the end of the bite that combined with the ice cream and honey just was the perfect little morsel of food.

We also had a Layered Ginger Spice Cake, but honestly…not my fave. A little *too* gingery for me. It looked lovely though!

Around this time in our meal there might have been some singing that went down. Lets just say that Karen was embarrassed, the other patrons were embarrassed, and we made ourselves laugh till our stomachs hurt.

RHT was a great place to celebrate a birthday. From the ambiance to the food to the service, everything was spot on. They even gave Karen a fun little birthday card.

As the rest of Boston was gearing up for a snow day, the girls and I were chowing down and keeping hydrated. Not a shabby way to spend a birthday, Tuesday night, or 1-11-11!

What did you do on your last birthday?! My last birthday was my 30th and I was in Niagara Falls!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin January 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Wow sounds like a fun night! And chili chocolate cake? YUM. I also love that crazy picture of Karen – I’m sure she’s thrilled you shared it with the world! lol. 😉

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Dinner with friends is my new favorite way to spend my birthday! Last year we went to a Mexican restuarant and it was great.

Robyn January 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm

First- have to say your photos are fantastic! I just discovered your blog and love the pictures you take. Second- I also posted about 1-11-11 and think days like that are too cool! I was in love with 9-02-10 a few months ago and was basically giddy all day over that one!

My recent birthday (my 29th) was spent at work, but I went to a concert over the weekend and dinner that night with my boyfriend at an amazing restaurant in town. Gearing up for my 30th in less than 6 months– yikes!

agirlandhermutt January 13, 2011 at 1:43 am

Thanks so much! I’m glad you found the blog! Concert and a meal sound like a good night to me!

Dorry January 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm

What an amazing meal! Billy would pay big bucks for that Caesar salad. And flourless chocolate cake can’t be beat. I was on the tail end of our Europe trip on my last birthday – we were in Madrid!

agirlandhermutt January 13, 2011 at 1:43 am

Now THAT is a great birthday!

ashleigh January 12, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I have heard great things about Russel House Tavern.. I’ll have to check it out soon!

agirlandhermutt January 13, 2011 at 1:43 am

Definitely do! The location is great and the food/drinks really are yummy!

Karen January 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Ahhhh…what Erin doesn’t mention is that she got the restaurant to give us the best table in the house! Thanks, Erin!

PS. I love my five-heads photo, and that chocolate chili cake was truly amazing. If ever I find the man of my dreams, I’m taking him to try that cake. And, yes, he will like it. There’s no way the man of my dreams doesn’t enjoy chocolate chili cake!

agirlandhermutt January 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Any person joining our group of friends should be submitted to the chocolate chili cake challenge!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story January 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

Hi! I just learned of your blog via Michelle at Hit the Bricks. So glad I did! As a Boston gal, dog lover and Russel House fanatic, this blog will be right up my speed!

agirlandhermutt January 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Welcome! Any friend of Michelle’s is a friend of mine. I love “meeting” fellow Boston Dog lovers! 🙂