Splurge or Steal…

by agirlandhermutt on April 1, 2011

Apparently Boston has not gotten the memo that it is Spring. Last night we got SNOW. Seriously. SNOW. That ain’t no April Fool’s joke kids. Speaking of April Fool’s Day…I’m not a prankster. I don’t like tricks or pranks or anything of the sort.  I’m such a stick in the mud!  I put a plea out on Twitter for my buddies to let me know I wasn’t the only loser. Please tell me I’m not alone!

In last Friday’s post I mentioned that I had been experimenting with dry shampoo. I got several emails asking me whether or not I thought that more expensive products were worth it for daily products or if the steal category could always win. That’s when I noticed that this past month I’ve had a little bit of a theme happening in my life…Splurge or Steal! I’ve been trying out some new products to see if I can replace more expensive items I buy/use on a daily basis and I’m also doing the exact opposite by buying things a little more expensive to see if I should just stop being so cheap.

Here are a few of my recent experiments when it comes to beauty products.  Oh who will be the winner in this Splurge or Steal: Daily Beauty Edition! I can practically cut the excitement with a knife. Too far? Ok ok, not that exciting, but fun!

clip_image001
Beauty Buys

Lip Balm

Fresh Sugar Duo ~$22.50 Nivea A Kiss of Moisture ~$2.99

Both of these balms are SUPER moisturizing. I hate putting on chapstick or balm and feeling like I have wax all over my lips. It never fails to just ball up into weird clumps and make me look like I have some kind of weird mouth disease. I love that both of these products come in various tints/shades for light color, but the basics are my staples every day. Although the Fresh balm is almost indestructible to Korky’s constant quest to eat all of my chapsticks, the Nivea wins this category because of the awesome price. I can replace these on a regular basis and still not need to take out a loan.  Steal!

Mascara

Dior Diorshow Mascara ~$18(duo mini),
$24(regular)
L’Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black ~$8

I have super tiny eyelashes to go with my super tiny eyes. My Dad used to ask me if I can see when I laugh. Funny guy, huh? Winking smile Both of these mascaras get the job done. They make my eyelashes thicker and LLLLLOOOONNNG. I almost look like I have actual eyelashes. I have a small problem with the L’Oreal bleeding underneath my eye even though I don’t even put it on my bottom lashes. Despite the high cost, the Dior Duo (and its awesome smell!) are my pick for every day lashes. It goes on supah smooth and really makes everything plump up. Splurge!

Tinted Moisturizer

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free ~$42 Aveeno Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer ~$14

Both of these tinted moisturizers provide a little bit of coverage, SPF, and a very light feel. The Aveeno has a little bit of shimmer in it that really could make you look like you are glowing. The pump of the Aveeno is a winner in my book too. Very little mess! I will admit though that I did only have a sample version of the LM. Overall, lower cost and higher SPF wins it for me in this daily product with Aveeno. Steal!

Lip Gloss

MAC Tinted Lipglass in C-Thru ~$14.50 Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Nude Lustre ~$8

Oh nude lipglosses, how I love you. I love that I can put almost any ugly colored lipliner or lipstick that I made a mistake in buying, slap some nude lipgloss over it and instantly everything looks 100% better. MAC’s C-Thru and I have been BFF for quite some time. I love the look, how long it lasts, and that great glossy look that it gives. About six months ago I discovered Revlon’s nude lipgloss. As much as I want to love it because its cheaper, it is missing the one thing that MAC has for me…staying power. I find that I have to reapply often with Revlon which often ends up leaving some kind of residue on my lips. Good thing I saved a few bucks in the other categories because MAC wins in this won. SPLURGE!

Although I love Sephora with all my heart, there is definitely great finds at CVS and Target. Spending big $$ doesn’t always mean better.

clip_image001

Since we are on the topic of beauty products, I have to share with you how the mutt enjoys my products too. There is something about chap stick and lipgloss that Korky just can’t resist. On Wednesday night I went to take a shower and when I walked out I found this on my living room floor…

I *just* bought this cute little Vera Bradley pouch to carry my fun little beauty basics around in my work bag. Korky found it, ripped it open and ate my Nivea lip balm in less than 5 minutes. Seriously. 5 minutes!

I wish I had a photo to show you what the lip balm ended up looking like, but that is a no go. He DEMOLISHED it. I also wish I could tell you that I have stopped carrying this ruined bag around, but that is also not the case. Winking smile

Ugh…good thing he is so cute.

I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m looking forward to a wine tasting tonight, a homemade meal, a birthday celebration, and a blog lesson with a friend. Busy bee schedule is in full effect! See ya on Monday with a new recipe and a weekend recap.

Are you a drugstore make-up person? Do you wear make-up every day or just for special occasions?

Mindy April 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

You are definitely not alone in your non-prankster ways! 🙂

agirlandhermutt April 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Thank you! I feel better.

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka April 1, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Bad Korky!!! I hate when Lincoln does something mischievious like that b/c I can’t be mad at his cute face. Glad to know someone out there is the same way!

I wear Loreal for the most part and Bare Essentials when I want to splurge. I wear makeup everyday if I am going out into public b/c without? Not a pretty sight.

agirlandhermutt April 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Love Bare Essentials! Its starting to settle a little too much into my skin lately so I’ve been branching out with some other mineral makeups. Haven’t found anything I like that much yet.

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin April 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I love this post Erin! I go for the steal almost every time but I think sometimes it’s important to splurge on yourself. I’m going to look for that facial tinted moisturizer by Aveeno – I LOVE their products!

agirlandhermutt April 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

The Aveeno is fantastic! It feels heavy going on, but ends up feeling so light.

Michelle April 1, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m not so into April Fools, either!

I wear makeup about 80% of the time. During the summer I’ll skip it a lot because I don’t want to sweat and let that stuff in my pores! Some things I splurge on and some things I’ll save on. My powder comes from the woman who did my makeup for my wedding, she mixes it specially for me. It ends up being the same price as a tub of Bare Minerals and is better for my face!

agirlandhermutt April 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow, you have your own powder?! That is awesome.

Sara @ Running In Pink Project April 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Cuteness is def what saves my pups from time to time. 🙂

agirlandhermutt April 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

He pushes it sometimes. 😉

Shannon April 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

I too have lost many lip balms to the pup. Sigh.

I wear a mix of splurge and steal makeup. I usually opt for more expensive bronzer but my tinted moisturizer is from target. I do have some bare minerals but it was a great sale at Ulta.

I wear less makeup to work… usually just bronzer and mascara. But when I’m going out, I put on eye makeup too!

agirlandhermutt April 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

I wish I had an Ulta closer to me! I also am on the hunt for a better bronzer. Suggestions!?

Shannon April 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I use a Cargo brand bronzer from Sephora and/or Physicians Formula. If you find something you love, check to see if you can order it from ULTA online… if you join their e-mailing list, they have discounts ALL THE TIME.

Stephanie April 3, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I hate pranks as well. I think that most of them are kind of mean. That said, i was reading on a blog about someone who made homemade reeses and filled one with mustard. I thought that one was pretty funny.

agirlandhermutt April 5, 2011 at 10:06 am

A mustard filled reeses is funny. Telling people you are pregnant or ill when you aren’t…mean.

Stephanie April 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Oh, AGREED! The pregnancy one in particular really stings for those of us who are having a hard time getting pregnant/having babies. Not a funny joke.

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle April 4, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m a slave to Sephora. It’s literally embarassing how much I spend there. Dior mascara is the BEST. The more expensive dry shampoos are better as well (I tried the Treseme version and it was the absolute worst).

I think with things like chapstick and lip gloss though, the cheaper versions are just the same.

agirlandhermutt April 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

I kind of liked Treseme. Its weird how that works! I do share your love of Sephora though. What a wonderful store!

Mindy@FindingSilverLinings April 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I consider myself a makeup addict. I splurge on foundation (Chanel), classic eyeshadow colors (MAC), and get trendier things (trendy eye shadow, gloss, etc) at drugstores. Here are my essentials…
Great Post!