Eatin’ A-Go-Go!

by agirlandhermutt on July 11, 2011

That blog title brings back fond memories of my love for all things George Michael, including his stint with Wham! and the doosey of a song that had lyrics that included “don’t leave me hanging on like a yo-yo”. George Michael was my first concert. True Story.

clip_image00161_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb1_thumb[1]

This weekend Boston had some perfect weather for all outdoor activities, including a visit to the Macy’s A-Go-Go Food Truck. Macy’s Culinary Council which includes world renowned chefs such as Michelle Bernstein, Emeril Lagasse, Wolfgang Puck, Rick Bayless, Ming Tsai and Todd English,  put together the Macy’s Chefs A-Go-Go nationwide tour. Each stop would feature one of the chefs cooking up great food and dishing them out for FREE. Just leave a donation to support Feeding America!

Boston had their own stop this weekend with Saturday featuring Ming Tsai (eek! I love him!) and on Sunday Todd English (swoon!).

It was a gorgeous day so I  convinced Karen at the last minute to accompany me on my quest for food truck food glory.

I Spy With My Big Brown Eye…

Set up right in front of the Pru, the truck had a great location for attracting all kinds of folks. The Red Sox had a day game too so there were people out in full force.

There were a few options for us to choose from so Karen and I went for ALL of them. What?! How can I judge without trying everything?!

First up was the Prime Rib Slider. Karen was the taste tester on this one. Verdict? Two thumbs up!

We snacked on a few bags of Todd English’s famous chips. I *might* have inhaled my bag and half of Karen’s while she wasn’t looking. A-MAZ-ING. A bit greasy, salty and everything a chip should be.

Next up…LOBSTER SLIDERS! I can’t tell you how excited I was to sit down with one of those.  Boston=Lobster. Summer in Boston=Lobster Rolls/Sliders! Aren’t sliders the perfect size? Enjoy two (or three) and feel delightfully stuffed.

For the pièce de résistance, they broke out the big guns…coconut cupcakes! The icing on this little bite was probably one of the best icings I have ever had. I’m not a big icing fan in general so I loved how light but creamy this was.

NOTE TO SELF: Tell The Scientist about these cupcakes so I can gorge on them at my next birthday party.

We washed the whole meal down with the only logical drink for a hot day…Del’s Frozen Lemonade. Smart move setting up next to the food truck Del’s!

Karen and I proceeded to sit back, enjoy the sun, some lemonade and lick our fingers clean of all the coconut remnants we could find.

And then THIS happened…

Don’t rub your eyes. It is not a mirage. I met Todd English. Did you hear what I said?! I MET TODD ENGLISH!

Seriously, I know he has a total bad boy reputation and I think that is why I <3 him. I also happen to think that one of the best meals I have ever had was at Olives in Charlestown. He couldn’t have been nicer and it totally made my day to meet him.

BIG THANKS to Karen for taking her relaxing day of plans and throwing them out the window to go to a food truck. You can imagine how that text must have sounded at first. “Hey! Lets go to a truck to eat!” She is a good sport though. Don’t worry…we invaded Sephora to escape the heat and spent way to much money. SCORE!

If the Macy’s Food Truck makes a pit stop in your town, be sure to check it out. Its FREE and YUMMY! Win-Win.

Hope you guys had a great weekend! I had an awesome girl’s night out (details coming tomorrow!) and helped to celebrate a friend’s engagement. I was so glad the weather cooperated!

What was your first concert?

Booty shaking and all during his FAITH tour, George Michael. My poor Dad went with me.

Are you a “fan” of different chefs? Do you watch tv shows like Iron Chef, Top Chef, Chopped, Next Food Network Star, etc?

I love following the happenings of some of my favorite chefs. In addition to my looove of Todd English and Ming Tsai, I’m also a HUGE fan of Eric Ripert, Mario Batali, Michelle Bernstein, and Anthony Bourdain. I like them all for random reasons and not necessarily because I have tried their food. HA! I’m also a big chef tv show watchers. Thank goodness for DVR.

Beth @ Beth's Journey July 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Wow this sounds like such an incredible day! The food looks awesome, but I especially LOVE your nail polish! Did you do that yourself??

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I kind of did my nails myself. I’m posting about it later this week! So easy and fun!

Michelle July 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

This looks awesome! I need to live closer to the city.

My first concert, I believe, was James Taylor. A friend brought me and I wasn’t a fan of him at first, but seeing him live turned me right around!

I am a Top Chef NUT! I also love the good ol Food Network. Big fan of Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence (swoon), Anthony Bourdain, Eric Ripert, and Nigella Lawson. And there’s some who I really like the food but can’t stand to watch them on TV!

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Anytime I see someone live I end up loving them even more!

Bobby Flay…good chocie! Totally love him too. Glad to know there are other Top Chef nuts out there.

Aimee July 11, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Looks so good! I wonder if they will be anywhere near me… I’ll have to check that out. As for my first concert, it was the B-52s! 🙂

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Great first concert!

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Damn, you’re a lucky girl! Everything looks spectacular, especially the chips and lobster roll. I must try a lobster roll when I am up there b/c cmon, how can I not??

PS-LOVE the nail polish!!

Christine @ Merf In Progress July 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I used to totally wear the “Choose Life” shirt that Georgie wears in the go-go video. I had NO IDEA what it meant. I was eight!

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

HA! Ok, now that is a hysterical mental image.

Mindy@FSL July 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

Um, I heart Todd English AAAAAND George Michael!

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you for validating my crushes. 🙂

Noelle Reese July 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

Everything was free? I can’t even imagine that! The lobster slider looks YUMMY! Your nails are fantastic. When I was pregnant with Morgan I had lemonade EVERY day! YUM! I don’t know who Todd is GASP! My BFF is a chef and she might divorce me for saying that out loud right? LOL My first concert was Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. The hippy next to me offered me a joint. I think I was about 7. That is the first and only time I saw my Dad threaten someone. I watched the rest of that show between my parents with Mr stoner not having nearly as much fun as he was. LMAO

agirlandhermutt July 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

HA! Hippy man wanted to share the love with you. I can only imagine how my Dad would have reacted!

Sarah July 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Dear Lord!! Those lobster sliders look like something you’d see in Heaven. Amazing. And congrats on meeting Todd English. I <3 him.
-Sarah
fitango.com

Jen July 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Okay, that menu makes me REALLY miss Boston. Excellent on the Todd English meeting! Oh Georgie porgy I do love him. Favorite chef to watch is Alton Brown. I’ve recently discovered Chopped, now that is one addicting show!